/Royal babys birth a family affair to remain private, Harry and Meghan say

Royal babys birth a family affair to remain private, Harry and Meghan say

Updated

April 12, 2019 09:11:47

Prince Harry and his pregnant wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, have said in a public statement that they will keep news their first baby’s arrival into the world private.

Key points:

  • Harry and Meghan are unlikely to pose for the world’s media as Kate and William did
  • They recently moved to a smaller, more private dwelling near their wedding venue
  • Speculation Meghan is opting for a home birth has not been unconfirmed

Kensington Palace officials said in a statement that Harry and Meghan “look forward” to sharing the news of their baby’s birth once they have had a chance to celebrate as a new family.

“Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private,” the statement said.

“The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family.”

The decision means that Harry and Meghan are not likely to pose on the hospital steps with their newborn for assembled photographers and TV crews, a break from the Royal tradition followed by Prince William and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, when she gave birth to their three children.

As a future king, William is expected to help mark great occasions, while Harry — sixth in the line of succession — has more leeway.

Both have in the past expressed deep misgivings about intrusive press coverage, despite often courting the media’s attention.

Harry and Meghan — an American actress best known for her work on Suits — married in May last year in an internationally televised ceremony at Windsor Castle.

They are expecting their first child in late April or early May. The palace press office has announced very few details about their plans, refusing to comment on unconfirmed British media reports that Meghan may opt for a home birth.

Harry and Meghan said they had opted not to know the gender of their baby until the birth.

They recently moved from central London to a more secluded house near their wedding venue.

They have set up an Instagram account, leading to breathless speculation they may post the first pictures of their baby on that site.

That account broke an Instagram record for quickly attracting millions of fans.

They said in their statement they were grateful for the goodwill messages they had received from around the world.

Harry and Meghan have asked people who want to send them baby gifts to instead donate to selected charities for children and parents in need.

They mentioned several charities in particular, including The Lunchbox Fund, WellChild, Baby2Baby and Little Village, which all have different connections to the Royal couple.

ABC/AP

Topics:

royal-and-imperial-matters,

babies,

human-interest,

england,

united-kingdom,

united-states

First posted

April 12, 2019 08:38:44